A 15 Mile PDR

Yesterday morning my running buddy Melissa came over for a long run. We have been running our long runs together for the past few weeks and its been enjoyable! Melissa is training for the Richmond Marathon too as well as a Triathlon. She’s running her Tri next weekend and I’m sure she will rock it!

Anyway, we’ve been running through the countryside right outside Albany to make sure we’re getting our hillwork in. In the past, I’ve avoided hills but I’ve been meaning to run them more in preparation for the marathon as well as the Ragnar Relay we’re both doing in a few weeks. The Relay goes from Saratoga Springs to Lake Placid–through the Adirondacks–which means it will be a hillfest. I want my legs to be prepared!

Here is the elevation chart from our run yesterday.


Yes, that one hill is over a mile long. And let me tell you, it sucks! But I made it almost to the top without walking, but I walked for a little bit. I’m getting there!

Yesterday also marked a Personal Distance Record (PDR) for me of 15 miles. I’ve truly entered marathon training! I’m also seeing split times I’m not used to seeing–very slow ones. Its kind of hard, but I know I need to run slower in order to run longer, so I’m trying not to think about how fast I used to be compared to these times.


There were so many signs of fall on our run yesterday, except one…the humidity! The weather wasn’t great for running, but I’m hoping there are only a few more weeks left of it. Bring on the crisp, cool breezes!


Next weekend I’m running the Maple Leaf Half Marathon in Vermont and I’m really excited. Hopefully my hill training will have prepared me for this.


Doesn’t look too bad, right?

After Melissa and I parted ways (she only had to run 13) I ran the last two solo (HARD), but got it done. I made sure to stretch my legs and back. My back was REALLY sore afterward, which was something I’ve never really experienced before. I made my favorite recovery smoothie with my Cheribundi juice and prepared myself an ice bath.


I look like an insane person, but submerging the legs in the ice water after such a long run really reduces muscles soreness. My legs feel almost 100% better today.

After showering and relaxing for a few, I headed to meet my parents, sister and her boyfriend for lunch at one of our favorite pizza places, Smith’s Tavern! I was so hungry I felt like I could eat a whole pizza myself (but I didn’t).

I ordered the Tavern Veggie.



It was full of veggies, which is just how I like my pizza! I only wish they had an option for whole wheat crust (like DeFazio’s does!) because I’m one of the weirdos who actually prefers the taste of whole wheat.

After our lunch, we all made the last minute amazing decision to go over to Indian Ladder Farms for donuts. I mean, it was September 1st and all. Its practically fall.


Is it just me or are they getting smaller every year?


Still good, though!

We saw a few animals on the farm, most interestingly the goat on leash.


Actually, the geese on the leash were more interesting. Yes, he had given his geese a bath and was now walking them around the farm. They even let us pet them. It was the first time and probably last time I’ll pet a goose.


My sister fed the goats while I watched.




My energy was quickly disappearing so afterward I came home and napped and didn’t really move off the couch for the rest of the day. I guess that’s what running for 2 hours and 45 minutes will do to a person. 🙂

Related Posts with Thumbnails


  1. ZOMG you must’ve run right by my house! How did I miss you!? That’s a similiar route to what I run – Schoolhouse to Krumkill to Russell to Western Ave and back to Schoolhouse. Sometimes I run to Mahar’s and back (about 8 miles round trip).

Comments are closed.