Saturday Heather and I accompanied Daniel B on his 2011 Tour de Soft Serve (read all about it on his blog!) Pretty much, he started a local tour of the popular soft serve joints in the Capital Region. I had to get on that!!!
Heather and I practiced moderation all day. We split a kiddie size soft serve ice creams at each stop, no toppings, no cones. We even brought some resusable cups and a spoon to reduce waste.
There were a total of five stops on the tour. The rules were we had to order a twist and if we went with a topping (we didn’t) it would have to be consistent. There was even a score card!
1. On the Farm – the first one always tastes pretty good! I was a fan.
2. Guptil’s Coney Express – Tasted a bit similar to On the Farm.
3. Country Drive In – no kiddie cup, only cone, so Heather and I split it. I think this one was my favorite. It was “fluffy” and the vanilla kind of tasted like whipped frosting.
4. Kurver Kreme – my least favorite, the line was long and the I couldn’t tell much difference between the vanilla and chocolate flavors.
5. Jim’s Tastee Freez – they were all tasting the same by this point!
I think I’ve had my share of soft serve twist ice cream for the season. Heather and I figured out we probably only had equal to a size medium cone at most of these places (some of the bigger servings were huge!)
Overall, it was great fun! I loved trying all the different ice cream. And a big thanks to Daniel B for organizing the 2011 Tour de Soft Serve!